Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Healthy Hearty Salad: BMI = 29.4

Looking for a healthy yet hearty meal to keep that New Year’s resolution going? I’ve got a salad that offers 3 servings of veggie, 2 servings of whole grain, and one serving of lean meat. The real bonus to this salad is a sugar-free dressing that is easy to prepare.

For the veggies, I start with 1.5 cups of chopped veggies. I go with carrot, broccoli, tomato, radish, red onion and red pepper. I choose dense veggies like these because lettuce just doesn’t fill me up. Be sure to include a dark green veggie like the broccoli and an orange veggie like carrot or butternut squash.

For salad dressing, I just mix together some apple cider vinegar, grapeseed oil, mustard, and usually some sambal. It’s not a rich and creamy dressing like Ranch or Caesar, but if you go light on the oil this dressing will have much less fat than those and if you choose a mustard without added sugar then it also ends up having zero added sugars.

For whole grain, I like to make some croutons by breaking up Ryvita crackers. The rye and oat bran variety contain whole grain rye flour, oat bran, and a little salt. They are 70 calories each, so you can use 3 of these giant crackers to make a really crunchy salad without adding too many calories. Each cracker only has 0.5 grams of fat and 25 mg of sodium.

For lean protein, I like to go for 2 ounces of tuna (or roast beef/pork/chicken). I try to have a couple ounces of fish twice per week. I don’t buy processed meat anymore so I’m lucky to have found a grocery store that sells sliced roast beef and pork. For chicken, I just buy a whole rotisserie chicken and then pull out all the meat to store and use 2 ounces at a time.

I toss the meat/fish and veggies in some of the dressing and then top it all off with the Ryvita croutons. This is a very filling salad that is chock full of micro-nutrients.

No comments:

Post a Comment