Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Eat Breakfast! BMI = 30.0

If you think that skipping breakfast leads to eating fewer calories, then you might also think the earth is 6,000 years old. No proven facts are more irrationally refuted than biological evolution and the benefits of a balanced diet. Ironically, both are closely related.

I used to avoid breakfast because it lead to me becoming nauseous when I tried to brush my teeth afterwards. It wasn’t breakfast that made me vomit, though – it was usually my late-night binge-eating that was the culprit. When I skipped breakfast, I had ‘panic hunger’ late in the day that drove me to binge-eat.

The more I starved myself to overcome my obesity, the less control I had over late-night snacks and that only drove my weight up. I was starving myself and over-eating at the same time. My diet was upside down. Now that I’ve inverted my nutrition, I eat my biggest meal in the morning, more produce than meat and more whole grains than diary, and I’ve lost over 100 lbs. I’m one pound away from no longer being obese even though I was obese class III just 11 months ago (BMI of 43).

I have some coworkers who show up fatigued, complaining they can’t sleep and have no energy. I have people who contact me through this blog begging for my ‘secret’ to such great discipline. I had a woman follow me off the bus because we ride at the same time each day, so she noticed how much weight I’ve lost. In each case I say the same thing, “I found this diet online. It’s not a great read, but it is put together by scientists, not celebrities. It’s called the Canada Food Guide.” Each and every time I give a quick breakdown about whole grains, fruits/veggies, reducing sugar, and all the Cliff’s notes, they respond in the same way, “That sounds like a lot of calories, and I don’t have the energy to get up and cook a breakfast like that.”

I know what it means to be tired and just trying to survive. I know what it means to look for a ‘breakfast bar’ that will make the morning easier. I even know what it is like to be tired and see something like the photo above and say, “Well, it is with all the other granola bars, and I do need some energy.” Stop! If you do not see a potential public health crisis with the above photo being taken in the breakfast food aisle, then please go back to the top and read through this entire post again.

No comments:

Post a Comment