Sunday, January 21, 2018

Weight-loss Plateau: BMI = 29.4

Last January I lost about 30 lbs. This January my weight-loss just stopped. I’m eating a more balanced diet than ever so it’s a bit disappointing to see zero reduction in my BMI this month. I have been tempted to cut back on calories but that would mean eating less than the recommended servings of whole grains each day.

I decided to do an audit of things that have changed this January. One big change is that I’m drinking less wine. I made a New Year’s resolution to cut back on the vino, and I think I the sudden stop in my weight-loss might just be the result of being more hydrated when I do my morning weigh-in.

The other thing that has changed is that I’ve started working out. I’ve been very sedentary for the past 10 years so even though I’m just doing a home-based endurance workout, I might be seeing a beginner’s surge in muscle tissue that is common when one first starts a workout routine. At the very least, I might also be retaining more water as my body has to work to repair my lean tissues after each workout.

For the time being I plan to just continue reducing my wine-intake and increasing the intensity of my workouts. My diet is still balanced and is closer than ever to meeting all the recommendations of the Canada Food Guide so I’m not going to cut calories at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment